Saturday 20 July 2019

The 'better', or the best?

"And I will show you a more excellent way".
1 Corinthians 12:31.

How often do you settle for second best?
I suspect most of us would want to say when faced with most situations, where we perceive we make the choice, never, but is that really the case?

I was following a major news item this past week and what was fascinating was what people were missing, purely because they were so focused on where the people generating the story were pointing you, and this meant they entirely missed another major event from the same source, purely because they were being distracted from doing so, until the process was over, and then everyone could go "oh, where did that come from?" (I wasn't any smarter than anyone else, but I picked-up on the diversion because of other smart people pointing it out).

In truth, we settle for something less all of the time. Often, it may not matter very much, but what about when it does?

Back in the mid-1990's, my life took a major theological turn when I came across the excellence of a radio show called The White Horse Inn. The impact was huge, and allowed me to really 'breathe' and develop once more in my faith.

In this fascinating little piece, Lutheran Minister Bryan Wolfmueller thinks out loud about what ideas and beliefs primarily motivate our world, and why that is so often settling for less than we should.

Enjoy!

No comments: