Friday 2 June 2023

Respite

 "Therefore, behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak tenderly to her, and there I will giver her a vineyard. The Valley of Achor, is a door of hope. And there she shall answer as in the days of her youth. And in that day says, the Lord, you shall me your husband, and I will make you lye down in safety, and I will betroth you to me for ever... I will betroth you to me in righteousness and in justice and in steadfast love, and in my mercy, I will betroth you to me in my faithfulness... And you shall know the Lord".  

The Valley of Achor by A Door of Hope.

So, yesterday, after a very hectic work day on Thursday, I managed to grab a lunch break and head out for a short walk down to the city's barbican, which was swimming in people out enjoying the good weather and each others company amidst the pleasant surroundings. I walked around amongst this for a short time, but then found what I was looking for - a small corner where two large horse chestnut trees provided a gorgeously calm and refreshing spot where I could step out of the heat and fully appreciate the lustre of the numerous flower arrangements near by and the voluptuous feel of the calming breeze for a few moments before heading back to the office.

The words of the Psalmist regarding finding himself in such restoring places comes easily to mind in such a moment, and I'm reminded that amongst often harried or demanding conditions, it's these moments that are provided to 'speak tenderly' that however troubling the times, the Lord who has come to dwell with us is the one who can cause the very aridness of the most demanding realms to be transformed into a refuge bursting with beauty and refreshment, purely because He delights in showing His goodness to us.

The days are indeed fraught with the foolishness of men - their empty wars and broken promises littler the barren realms they make everywhere, but the Lord is so good, and wants us to look afresh as His unceasing care in all these places - where men find nothing in themselves but empty ruin, God comes and renews through the precious life that He so often provides, and we find our souls enlivened afresh by the wealth of love that He showers upon us.

May these days allow us to look with such a gaze afresh, and see the beloved who sands us such care so entirely!


No comments: